Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Team
St. Mary’s/St. Joan’s Roman Catholic Churches & Colgate Newman Community
WHO ARE WE?
- Parishioners of St. Mary’s and St. Joan’s and the Colgate Newman Community with an interest and expertise in sexual abuse prevention:
- Bud Ballinger — 315.380.7865; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Bischoff -- 315.684.9628; email@example.com
- Ray Douglas -- 315.824.8382. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jen Meyers -- 315-824-1828; Cell 315-214-1408; email@example.com
- Mark Shiner — 315.750.8685; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Shiner — 315.750.8687; email@example.com
- Margaret Wehrer — 315.351.9981; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maura Tumulty — 315.750.9537; email@example.com
WHAT IS OUR GOAL?
- To provide a robust parish and community response to sexual abuse, including (1) acknowledging past abuses in the church and in society at large, (2) ministering to victims of sexual abuse, and (3) creating a healthy and safe community for future generations.
HOW WILL WE ACHIEVE OUR GOAL?
- Provide resources / raise awareness to parishes and the local community on positive sexuality, respect for the body, and sexual abuse prevention.
- Infuse all parish staff and structures with a sensitivity to past abuses and concrete steps to prevent future abuses. (For example, we are considering creating an outdoor memorial dedicated to victims of sexual abuse.)
- Minister to victims of sexual abuse through prayers of the faithful, prayer services and educational and spiritual resources.
- Educate parishioners and community members of all ages -- children, teens, adults – and revise faith formation curriculum to better address this issue.
- Collaborate with other local faith communities to create a safer and more healthy community.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Share helpful resources about sexual abuse prevention.
- Collaborate with us to sponsor trainings, educational resources, or speakers.
- Contact a team member to discuss your ideas.
- Join our team.